Project Summary Courtesy of www.fhwa.gov Website
In 1996, Chicago's commuter rail service, Metra, with help from some $29.3 million in CMAQ funds (from fiscal years 1993, 1994, and 1995) opened its North Central Service (NCS). This train was the first new commuter rail service implemented in northeastern Illinois since 1926. It runs 53 miles between Antioch and Chicago, stopping at 14 stations. South from the Antioch coach yard, the NCS uses 40.7 miles of Canadian National Railway trackage, along which there are 10 new suburban stations in Lake and Cook Counties, plus a new transfer station at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport. South of O'Hare, the NCS joins Metra's Milwaukee District West (MD-W) line, with which it shares 12.7 miles of trackage to the Chicago Union Station terminus. The NCS trains also stop at two of the MD-W's intermediate stations. The corridor includes the two most significant hubs of employment in the six-county northeastern Illinois region: the Chicago central business district and the area surrounding O'Hare International Airport.